Main Street, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
The Bank of Sun Prairie’s legacy of customer service dates back to 1897, when Thomas Hayden opened the first Bank at 233 E. Main Street. In 1903, the Bank was chartered by the state with a Capital Stock balance of $25,000. Hayden served as the Bank’s President until 1911, when he was succeeded by Henry Schey.
While the stock market crash of 1929 seemed an unlikely time to expand, the Bank of Sun Prairie did just that, acquiring the Farmers & Merchants Bank. The Bank remained at this location on the corner of East Main and Columbus streets until 1955.
Following Henry, Ed Schey became the third Bank President, serving from January to October of 1932. He was followed by George Mitchell, who ushered the Bank into an era of growth and expansion. The Bank moved to its present location at 228 E. Main Street in November of 1955. Not 10 years had passed when Mitchell realized the bank would need to expand to accommodate its Installment Loan Department; the addition was completed in 1963.
Construction project and remodel in 1972 added more drive-up lanes.
Two drive-up lanes were added in 1967, making banking more convenient for valued customers. In keeping with the “changing times” of the 60s and 70s, the Bank undertook a major remodeling and construction project in 1972, expanding its lobby and adding more drive-up lanes. In this same year, Tom Tubbs became the fifth President of the Bank of Sun Prairie after having worked at the Bank for 15 years.
Tubbs’ election to the Presidency directly coincided with a period of major growth within the Bank of Sun Prairie, and within the Sun Prairie community as a whole. Assets of the Bank more than quintupled in the 12-year period, growing from $9 million in 1965 to $44.2 million in 1977.
A December 1981 renovation added a second floor to the bank, and further expanded the drive-up to accommodate new customers as Sun Prairie grew from a small community to a thriving suburb of Madison.
Bank of Sun Prairie employees at the Main Street Location.
The continued growth of Sun Prairie led to the Bank opening two new full-service locations in 1990; one at 550 Broadway Drive and another at 119 Wilburn Road. By 1994, the Bank’s lending departments had outgrown their current office space, necessitating yet another addition to the Main Street Office. The Bank added 3,400 square feet of space, and purchased land nearby to provide parking for its ever-expanding staff.
In 1999, Bank of Sun Prairie opened its fourth office in the Village of Cottage Grove, a growing community in Northeastern Dane County.
Staff photo outside the Main Street Location.
After leading the expansion and continued growth of the bank for more than 30 years, in 2006 Tom Tubbs was named Chairman of the Board and he served as a member of the board of directors until his passing in 2019. Alice Hensen was named President in 2006, making her the bank’s sixth and only female bank president in Dane County.
In 2014 the bank did a major remodel of the Main Street location giving the lobby area an updated and open look, adding offices for the personal bankers offering more privacy for customers. In October, five generations after its opening, Bank of Sun Prairie selected Jimmy Kauffman as its seventh President and CEO. Kauffman is also the first non-former employee to hold the post. After 48 years serving Bank of Sun Prairie Alice Hensen retired on December 31, 2014.
Bank of Sun Prairie expanded to the west side of Sun Prairie, opening the Bank of Sun Prairie Center located at 695 S Grand Ave in the fall of 2015.
The Bank of Sun Prairie remains an independent bank and full service financial institution.